Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Catching Up

It's been a while since I posted. My bad. Well obviously we had the baby. Hooray for that one. I definitely had a different birth experience than I thought I would. I guess I don't really know what I expected but it turned out a little different than I thought. My birth story is pretty short. I was only in labor for 12 hours total. I expected much much longer...
i was scheduled for my induction on the day I was 41 weeks. The hospital was supposed to call me the night before to confirm and they never did. So when I called them they said I wasn't on the schedule until the following week. Needless to say.. It was a big problem. So I had to call the doctors office the next morning to straighten everything out. I'm not sure where the mix up was but they got it fixed to where I was back on the schedule for that night at 8 pm. It was super annoying but oh well. So right around the time I was getting this all figured out, around 9 am or so, was when my contractions started on their own. So we decided to go out on some errands and get some lunch and see what would happen. By about 2:30 we decided just to go to the hospital since they had been consistent for more than 4 hrs. at about 3 min apart and getting more intense. they always said youd know if you were in labor... and these were definitely different than any i had before..
Once we got there they took me straight to a room since I was supposed to be induced that night anyway. I was super happy that I went into labor on my own. I never really felt good about an induction. I checked in and was at a 4 so we just hung out for a while. Around 4pm the doctor came in and broke my water. And man it got crazy from there. I made it like another half hour and was about ready to die. Props to women who go natural. It wasn't happening for me. I got the epidural around 4:30  and was in heaven after that. Got checked again around 7 and was at an 8+ so things were progressing pretty fast. Around 8pm I was at a  10 and the  nurse  said they wanted to let her rest and descend for about a hour before I would start pushing. I started pushing around 8:45 or so and had her at 9:53. I pushed for about an hour, but she got stuck at the last little bit and didn't want to come out or something. So they called in the doctor and she determined that she wasn't gonna come out on her own with just my pushing. They decided  to do an episiotomy so that she had more room. After that she came out in 2 contractions. And the rest of the labor mess, lol, came out right after her. So while I got stitched up she got cleaned. Apparently she swallowed and breathed in a lot of fluids and junk when she came out so she didn't really cry. She was in slight distress so they decided they needed to take her to the nursery to try and get her to give her a bath and make her cry. When they cry it pushes the fluids in their lungs out into the blood stream so that why they were trying to do that. So I got to hold her for just a min and then they took her away. M went with her and my mom went to find my dad so I was alone for like 20 min before someone came back. It was kinda crazy. She did fine though and they brought her back to us when I was in recovery. She weighed in at 7 pounds 4 ounces and was 21 inches long. She had jet black hair like her dads but it has lightened up quite a bit since then. We stayed in the hospital til Friday afternoon and then went home. She had some struggles in the beginning with nursing but by Thursday afternoon she had it figured out. She has nursed like a champ ever since. It's pretty exhausting I'm not gonna lie.. I never get a break with constantly having to feed her. It's worth it though not having to pay for formula and for her to get all the benefits of it. After about 2 weeks post partum I was feeling a lot better. Dealing with the stitches was no fun at all. I thought at the time that it was horrible but looking back it wasn't so bad. I would do it again lol. It's true that you forget. We are all doing good now. She sleeps decently at night and isn't too fussy during the day. She got a cold already at 4 weeks and has had 3 more since then. I originally wrote all this when she was 8 weeks old and now sheis 4 1/2 months and is a totally chunk! Man that girl can eat. She talks like crazy and loves to stand, although not on her own yet. She sort of likes cereal but not really. She has started laughing a little bit now too which is super cute. We just love her to pieces. Can't imagine life without her now. I just can't believe how big she is. She is as big as some of her 6 month old cousins and friends, it's kind of crazy. We take her in next week for her next checkup so we will see how big she really is.

Well that is pretty much everything that has been going on with us lately. We are just trying to adjust to the new life with a baby. We love her so much it's crazy! I'm really surprised how much it has changed M. He is totally smitten with her and she already has him wrapped around her little finger.

I'll try to keep this more updated as things happen. But it's really hard with a baby to sit down and write things down. I just didn't want to forget about the details of that day. And I'm hoping I don't forget the little things about her as she grows so I'm going to try and be better about writing them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment